The decision to launch a Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group was agreed by the Parish Council in a public meeting – July 2017.
The Steering Group was constituted as a Parish Council Committee in October 2017.
A Master Programme was agreed that outlined the consultation process . PLAN
Launch meeting was targetted for January 2018. To make this as effective as possible a separate Communications Working Group was established:
- More appealing name identified – “Your Village, Your Voice”
- Picture created to represent the “brand”
- Website created / Facebook page
- Stakeholder analysis completed
- Project split into working groups – Housing, Transport, Environment, Leisure, Education, Business
- Strategy formulated with articles in local magazine / leaflets in key locations / Facebook to encourage as much participation as possible.
There were about 50 attendees at the Launch meeting. A number of people gave their names as volunteers to join the Working Groups.
Working Groups were established to develop contacts, investigate the subject and identify issues for the village.
1st Consultation in June/July 2018
Planning started in April 2018 . A Detailed PLAN was produced
- Questions for the survey were offered up by Working Groups based on research
- Questionnaire/Communications WG established
- Survey Monkey was identified for both on-line / off-line completion
- Different channels identified to ensure maximum reach across different age ranges/access routes within the community, and ease of return of survey
- Paper copy delivered to every house
- On-line link through website
- Publicity through local magazine, leaflets, School e-mail, Facebook, external posters
- Return of questionnaires facilitated through drop-boxes in key locations throughout the village and on-line
- Facebook advertising increased reached, and constant highlighting.
- Residents were invited to give email addresses to be provided with updates (500 email addresses on distribution list)
- 926 completed surveys
Working groups analysed detailed results to produce draft policies.
Monthly articles were put into the local magazine – Hilton and Dove Valley Life updating residents on progress and the results of the survey.
2nd Consultation in February/March 2019
Planning started in early January 2019 – Detailed PLAN
- A STEP Chart was created to help residents see the whole process and where we currently were to facilitate better engagement. The 2nd Consultation was “branded” as “The Next Step”
- Survey detailed all draft policies giving the resident an opportunity to Agree/Disagree and add a comment.
- The detailed underpinning logic for each policy was presented on charts for view by residents. These were available on-line and in large format in the Village Hall
- The same process was adopted as for the 1st Consultation for ensuring that every household received a copy of the survey both on-line and off-line, and facilitating the same options for completing the survey.
- 630 completed surveys
Regulation 14 Consultation
Planning started in early October for the 6 week Consultation starting on 28th October 2019. Detailed Plan
- A full detailed Draft Plan was produced which was discussed with South Derbyshire District Council and Consultant. Modifications were made as appropriate
- As the consultation was on the Draft Plan and it was not practical to print 3300 copies and deliver them, the focus was predominantly on-line
- Physical copies were produced at high quality print standard for viewing by the public in 3 different locations in the village.
- All houses were leafletted with the details of the Consultation the web address and the location of the physical copies. This was supplemented by articles in the local magazine, and Facebook.
- The communications were reinforced, principally through Facebook, and direct email ( to the 500 people on the distribution list) to ensure maximum return.
- 34 non-resident consultees were emailed to give them the opportunity to comment.
- 215 returns from residents
- 8 from non-resident organisations
- 1249 downloads of the Plan document
- 92% in favour